Fashion Musings From My Mother

Ah, the 80's. Our parents all seem to cringe when the fashion is mentioned, but I just smile. Who wasn't influenced by the colors, the patterns, the over-sized everything. But despite some of the over-the-top looks, there were some that still seem timeless to me. 
Take these three 80's movie darlings...

-Claire from The Breakfast Club. Her relaxed pink t-shirt, skirt, & boots, with a touch of sass, would still look good on someone today.

-Sloan from Ferris Bueller's Day Off was ridiculously cool. The white fringe jacket & white boots, gray menswear-style shorts, & her perfect hair was so effortless.

-Chris from Adventures in Babysitting was so chic. Over-sized pink sweater, her grandfather's camel winter coat, complete with a feminine broach, her colorful scarf & gloves, & you can't even see her lace up booties in this shot. And to top it off...that perfect curly blonde hair.

Fun Fact: All these girls wore one single outfit the entire film, & boy were they epic.

While thinking about these great looks, someone else came to mind...my mother. There are some pictures of her from the late 80's/early 90's when I was first born that she looks oh so chic. She is still a very stylish woman to this day, but I just love seeing her photos of her in her twenties. So I decided I would take these vintage photos & reinterpret them for how they would be styled in modern day. Although, you could probably get away with rocking all of these looks literally. 

Polka dot dress, over sized cardigan, neutral cross-body bag, shades, & chunky gold jewelry on her honeymoon with my dad.


For today's women, I see more of a bohemian black & white polka-dot, with a sleek ponytail, bold cat eye-liner, & I still love the chunky gold jewelry.

Necklace: J. Crew
Bag: Badgley Mischka



She also wore this playful look on her honeymoon. I can see where I get my love for polka dots. I just adore the white wayfarer sunglasses, pale pink turtleneck & the curls!


For today's woman I picture a flirty pink frock with relaxed hair, rosy make-up, wayfarers with a modern touch, & grown-up gold jellies.

Sunglasses: Forever 21
Sandals: Marc Jacobs


Here at a wedding she went classic with black & white stripes, a black leather watch & fuchsia earrings. Yes, that's me asleep on her belly while she was pregnant with my brother.


For today's woman I see a preppy boat neck top paired with a leather skirt, for a little sexy & a little sweet. Add fun jeweled earrings, a cool monogram watch & bright orange lips.

Earrings: Kate Spade
Watch: Urban Outfitters


Lastly, this hot mama took yours truly to the beach in a classic 80's suit & big bangs. Hot pink, neon green, & purple. Just a couple of babes!


For today's woman I still see a bright swimsuit, just a little less neon, a bohemian braid & a fun colorful chevron tote.

Swim Suit: Anthropologie
Tote Bag: Nordstrom

I think it's safe to say I get it from my momma ;) Love you Mom!

Comments