my spring/summer capsule wardrobe

Let me preface this by saying I have wanted to write a post about my capsule wardrobe for years now. But I'll let you in on a little secret: it takes years to create one! I should back-up a bit.

What is a capsule wardrobe? A relatively new way of shopping and curating your wardrobe into some what of a "capsule" collection consisting of 50 (more or less) items of clothing that can all be mixed and matched so that everything can be worn together. Meant to make your life easier, as well as being more economical for your wallet, AND better for the environment. Some people have just one capsule wardrobe or they might divide it up by season. There is no right or wrong way. But it has been such a joy creating it!

My capsule wardrobe organically fits into two major categories: spring/summer and fall/winter. Today I am going to show you my spring/summer. I also find it best to work within a color story (mine for s/s is: white, black, gray, pale pink, pale blue, dark green). It makes it easier to shop, to create outfits, and to have less of a one-and-done mentality with your clothing. I genuinely get so excited to come up with new ways to style an item of clothing and getting ready is my favorite part of the day!

With that being said, you may have seen many examples of capsule wardrobes before on Pinterest or Instagram but it is typically done by showing a curated collage of items or a beautiful laid-out closet. Which don't get me wrong - I love, but you don't often see how people put the capsule wardrobe to use in real-time, day after day.

Below you will find outfits I've created from my capsule and worn to work in real life, over a 4 month span (April - July). You can tell this is true by my various hair lengths as I've been cutting it shorter and shorter. I'll highlight my top 20 pieces (and where I bought them) and showcase them below showing three uses of each. But you will see many overlap, which is exactly what a capsule wardrobe is all about! Drum roll please... The top 20 items by category (outerwear, tops, bottoms, dresses, shoes) are:

OUTERWEAR:

1. Plaid Blazer (The Limited via Belk)

2. Dark-Wash Denim Jacket (Vintage via Rag-O-Rama)

3. Oversized Light-Wash Denim Jacket (Amuse Society via Cali surf shop)

4. Black Boyfriend Blazer (Zara)

TOPS:

5. Long-Sleeve Floral Blouse 1 of 4 (Who What Wear via Target)

6. Long-Sleeve Floral Blouse 2 of 4 (LOFT)

7. Long-Sleeve Floral Blouse 3 of 4 (LOFT)

8. Long-Sleeve Floral Blouse 4 of 4 (LOFT)

9. Graphic Tee (Levi's via Belk)

BOTTOMS:

10. Pale Pink Pleated Midi Skirt (Kaari Blue via Belk)

11. Dark Green Wide Leg Chinos (Ann Taylor)

12. Light-Wash Wide Leg Denim (Who What Wear via Target)

13. Faded Black High-Waisted Straight Leg Jeans (Everlane)

14. Dark-Wash Skinny Jeans (Hudson via Belk)

15. Striped Wide Leg Trousers (New Directions via Belk)

DRESSES:

16. Little Black Dress (Prologue via Target)

17. Chambray Midi Dress (Lou & Grey)

SHOES:

18. Black Mules (H&M)

19. White Sneakers (Puma via Rack Room Shoes)

20. Black Loafers (A New Day via Target)

Bonus: 

White Booties (A New Day via Target)

(these are much more present in fall/winter but can be great in spring/summer too - they didn't get a ton of wear but they made an impact when I wanted to elevate my look for important work days!) 

A few important things to note:
- This does not encompass all of my clothing - these are just my most-worn items.
- These outfits were all worn to work (hence my ID badge!) We have a business casual dress-code so many of my pieces can also be worn in my personal life. It's all about how you style it!
- I am human and like to buy a few trendy things here and there - I just make sure they work with my existing pieces!
- A few special accessories are also important. For me they are: 2 solid classy belts (1 black, 1 brown), 1 black and white headband, 1 classic Michael Kors watch, and lots of great (neutral) statement earrings!
- Hair and make-up (lipstick can change everything) makes a big difference in how I style my looks as well. Have fun with it!
- As I mentioned before - this took years to curate - and that's half the fun! I get so excited when I find the perfect -insert capsule item- to add to my wardrobe. It's a fun scavenger hunt!
- I will eventually get tired of most pieces - so swapping them out here and there will happen. But tried and true items (blazers, skinny jeans, etc.) are timeless!
- Some items were investment pieces, some were from fast-fashion or discount stores, and some were thrifted second-hand. I love to mix the high and low and it makes my capsule wardrobe that much more fun and unique.
- This does not include formal wear, activewear, intimates, swim, handbags, etc.
- This may not work for everyone - that's okay! You do you!

Here is the full list again!

OUTERWEAR:
1. Plaid Blazer
2. Dark-Wash Denim Jacket
3. Oversized Light-Wash Denim Jacket
4. Black Boyfriend Blazer

TOPS:
5. LS Floral Blouse
6. LS Floral Blouse
7. LS Floral Blouse
8. LS Floral Blouse
9. Graphic Tee

BOTTOMS:
10. Pale Pink Pleated Midi Skirt
11. Dark Green Wide Leg Chinos
12. Light-Wash Wide Leg Denim
13. Faded Black High-Waisted Straight Leg Jeans
14. Dark-Wash Skinny Jeans
15. Striped Wide Leg Trousers

DRESSES:
16. Little Black Dress
17. Chambray Midi Dress

SHOES:
18. Black Mules
19. White Sneakers
20. Black Loafers
Bonus: White Booties

As always, I hope this inspired you!

This post is dedicated to my two Grandmothers: Gloria and Lorene. Thanks to them for my love of fashion, my sense of style, my thriftiness, and most of all: relentless creativity. <3

Comments