the comeback kids

Everyone loves a good comeback story. And in fashion, history sure does repeat itself. Over the past decade or so, we've seen a full resurgence of bohemian / mod styles from the 60s and 70s with brands like Free People, ModCloth, and more. Leaning into boho and/or mod style can be fun but I personally don't go full-blown with it. I like to sprinkle a little of each into my eclectic wardrobe depending on the day/mood. Especially a cool vintage piece! 

In the past few seasons, 3 specific trends have made a subtle but strong comeback. I feel anyone can sprinkle these into their own wardrobe by giving them a bit of new life, while still paying homage to their retro roots. Scroll down for my inspo!

Trend 1 -- {Grandma's Sofa}

We've all cringed at the sight of a tacky floral sofa from yester-year - but lately, they've made a comeback as being kind of chic. The retro floral patterns are quirky and colorful and also make the perfect material for a conversation-starting ensemble. 

Trend 2 -- {Polka Dots}

They've come a long way since the 60s... {although they were invented much earlier} I've always associated polka dots with Minnie Mouse and I Love Lucy - until one day while shopping it hit me that they are truly timeless and add a playful flair to any look. So I bought the polka dot top on the spot (no pun intended) and never looked back. 


Trend 3 -- {50 Shades of Brown}

Brown was huge in the 60s and 70s - as were wood-paneled walls, brown Tupperware, the list goes on. But then it took a hiatus for a few decades {neon 80s, grungy 90s} - then had a comeback in the 00s - Hollister anyone? I definitely owned a brown tube top, brown Birkenstocks, and brown corduroy flares in high school - it was at the height of preppy/beachy style! Then - you guessed it - away again. Well whattya know - the b*tch is back. 


I hope this gave you some inspiration! If you liked what you saw - check out one of my all-time favorite blog posts where I recreated outfits from photographs of my mom in the 80s and 90s: CLICK HERE.

<3 G

Comments