Indie Movies I Watched & Liked + A Sweater Weather Playlist

I am a huge advocate of indie movies & watch as many as I can. Garden State & Little Miss Sunshine are two of my all-time favorite films. It all began in those early 2000's days of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/I Heart Huckabees/Lost In Translation around age 15, when I first found my love for them. Then in my early college days I used my library card to watch many more...this was before Netflix. These days I jump at the chance to catch one at a "select theater near you" when I can or catch them on Redbox/Netflix. Here is a list of my top favorites that I suggest you watch too! (in no particular order)

"Running With Scissors" - Based on a memoir of the real Augusten Burroughs all about his bizarre childhood & kooky family in the 70's.






































"Our Idiot Brother" - Paul Rudd, Zooey Deschanel, Rashida Jones...what's not to love? A sweet & humorous story about siblings.






































"Factory Girl" - All about my favorite artist Andy Warhol & his real-life muse Edie Sedgwick, set in the killer 60's. The studly Hayden Christensen is also a main character. ;)

"Friends With Kids" - A comedy about couples who have kids vs. those who don't. It's got an all-star cast & it doesn't disappoint.

"The Way Way Back" - Really, really good heartwarming & funny film. Steve Carell & Sam Rockwell are awesome. 

"Tiny Furniture" - If you at all like the show "Girls" you should check this out. This is what gave Lena Dunham her start. It's perfectly imperfect & weird, yet charming, just like she is.
"Liberal Arts" - Josh Radnar (HIMYM) & Elizabeth Olsen (younger sister of the Olsen twins) are a cute duo in a classic coming-of-age scenario, set at a liberal arts college.

"500 Days of Summer" - Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Zooey Deschanel are the ideal on-screen couple in this "not-love story." It's a great change from your typical rom-com.


"I Give It A Year" - This isn't exact indie, but I do think it's not very well-known in the U.S. It's a hilarious movie about a couple's first year of marriage. Must watch if you are the type to appreciate British humor.







































"Little Miss Sunshine" - One of my all-time favorite movies. Hilarious & filled with so many beautiful messages. Don't watch it on cable. It's not the same without every. single. curse. word.








































"The Spectacular Now" - You'll laugh, cry & reminisce about high school in the best way.





















"Bachelorette" - This was actually REALLY funny. Like Bridesmaids x10. I mean, it's produced by Will Ferrell! You will laugh, I promise.






































"Happy Thank You More Please" - Another hidden gem starring Josh Radnor, a.k.a. Ted Mosby.






































"Garden State" - This is one of the first movies I ever saw that made me really feel something. Bonus, the soundtrack will change your life.







































"Butter" - This one is totally out of left-field. Whimsical & heart-felt with a great cast.







































"Lars & The Real Girl" - Ryan Gosling like you've never seen him before. A different movie about love.







































"The Kids Are All Right" - This one that is pretty well-known, it won an Oscar! But if you haven't seen it - please do. All about today's modern family.





























Runners Up: The Oh! In Ohio, New York I Love You, Young Adult, Love & Other Disasters

Some others on my list to watch are:

Last but not least - I made myself a Sweater Weather mix over the weekend & thought I'd share. I don't know about you but I have a strict -no listening to Christmas music until Black Friday- policy. So here's some tunes to get you by until then. It's a combo of not so-Christmas songs from Christmas movies & other soundtracks, & songs that just all-around make you want to host a festive party, or cuddle by a fire. Cheeseball, I know. :)

SWEATER WEATHER 2013 PLAYLIST:
1) "I Wish You Love" - Rachael Yamagata (from the "Prime" soundtrack)
2) "St. Patrick's Day" - John Mayer (Actually not about St. Pat's at all, but everything that comes before)
3) "January Wedding" - The Avett Brothers
4) "So Groovy" - Jocelyn Alice & Right the Stars (from the Target/Threshold commercial)
5) "The Trouble With Love Is" - Kelly Clarkson (from the "Love Actually" soundtrack)
6) "The Way I Am" - Ingrid Michaelson (from an Old Navy commercial a few years ago)
7) "Hold On" - Michael Buble
8) "Falling In Love At A Coffee Shop" - Landon Pigg
9) "Jingle Jangle" - Hot Hot Heat
10) "Turn Me On" - Norah Jones (from the "Love Actually" soundtrack)
11) "Sweet Disposition" - The Temper Trap (from the "500 Days of Summer" soundtrack)
12) "Loving You" - Paolo Nutini
13) "Such Great Heights" - The Postal Service
14) "Wonderful World" - James Morrison
15) "Your Winter" - Sister Hazel (from the "10 Things I Hate About You" soundtrack)
16) "Trouble" - Ray LaMontagne (from the Traveler's Insurance commercial a few years ago)
17) "Wedding Dress" - Matt Nathanson
19) "Forever" - Chris Brown
20) "Your Song" - Ellie Goulding (cover of the Elton John song)
























Happy watching/listening!

Comments

  1. I did notice a few songs from Love Actually that aren't really Christmas songs, but immediately made me think of the movie, and this of Christmas, without feeling guilty for listening too soon. Sneaky Gina! :) Loved so many of these movies, especially Friends With Kids, I really want to see The Spectacular Now & so many of the others, thank you for the list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment